Pandemic Influenza - Individuals and Families
Practical things to do to prepare for the next influenza pandemic include:
- Learning more about the possible impacts of an influenza pandemic.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions and browse the links listed under Additional Resources.
- Discussing how you and your household would cope during an influenza pandemic.
- Identify key people you could turn to for help, and other people who might need your help.
- Keeping a list of important phone numbers, home and e‐mail addresses so that you can keep in touch.
Learn about seasonal influenza as this will also help you and your family during an influenza pandemic.
During a severe pandemic you and your family may have limited access to food, water and essential supplies.
- Prepare a home emergency kit and ensure you have adequate supplies in your pantry to help you meet the needs of your family for up to 14 days.
- If you can’t manage to store supplies for 14 days, try to aim for at least 4-5 days of supplies.
- NSW Government Human Influenza Pandemic Plan
This Plan also contains a Household Planning Guide (Annexure B, pages 24-28).
- Australian Department of Health and Ageing – Pandemic Influenza site