Recruitment of Locum Medical Officers
Employment of a Locum Medical Officer must only occur as a last resort in service critical areas.
NSW Public Health Organisations which seek to utilise the services of a Medical Locum Agency can only do so if that Medical Locum Agency is listed on the NSW Health register of Medical Locum Agencies.
Register of Medical Locum Agencies
In order to be eligible to join the NSW Health Register of Medical Locum Agencies, new Agencies must:
- Undergo an independent assessment with a third party JAS-ANZ accredited auditor against the NSW Health Standards and Conditions;
- Submit an audit report and certificate demonstrating compliance with the NSW Health Standards and Conditions;
- Sign an agreement with at least one Local Health District.
Further details of the application process can be found in the Locum Medical Officers – Employment & Management Policy
Certification is for three years and will need to be renewed in order to remain on the register.
Locum Medical Officers - Employment & Management Policy
The policy outlines the employment and management process to be applied by Public Health Organisations when engaging a Locum Medical Officer in the NSW Health District through Medical Locum Agencies.
The Policy lists the mandatory documents required by Medical Locum Agencies and Locum Medical Officers. These Include:
NSW Health Standards and Conditions
The NSW Health Standards and Conditions for medical locum agencies sets out the standards against which locum agencies must demonstrate compliance prior to being considered eligible to provide locum Medical Officers to the NSW Health Service.
The NSW Health Standards and Conditions:
- Maximise the effectiveness and efficiency of Locum Medical Officer placements and management.
- Ensure that locum Medical Officers are appropriately qualified, fit for duty and suitable for roles they will perform.
- Ensure that agreed levels of customer service from locum agencies are maintained.
The Standards and Conditions are available here
Medical Locum Agency Audit Guidelines
The Medical Locum Agency Audit Guidelines are available here