Review and Revise My Health Record 2004
NSW Health engaged a consultant to review and revise My Health Record in 2004.
The objectives of this project were to review and revise My Health Record to enhance its uptake by health service providers and consumers. This will help in improving management and communications between consumers and their health service providers.
The new version of My Health Record has been developed based on recommendations from the review process. The review process involved various sources and participants, such as:
- literature review,
- patient and clinician completed feedback forms provided with My Health Record,
- surveys and focus group discussions with consumers and health services providers
- a survey of NSW General Practice Divisions, facilitated by the NSW Alliance of GP Divisions.
The recommended changes have been applied to the new version of My Health Record concerning the format, design, size and content. These include:
- Reduce the weight of the booklet
- Using a mix of paper pages and plastic sleeves (similar to the NSW Health 'blue book' for babies)
- Increase size to standard A5 to handle folded A4 pages easily
- Reduce introductory information in the front of the booklet to a two-sided page
- Make the tables and information in every page/section more consumer friendly.
A number of other recommendations have been identified following the review and will be implemented in near future. These include:
- establishing a central point in NSW Health to assist in providing education, evaluation, monitoring and support at State level,
- appointing of a point of contact in each AHS to champion My Health Record. This person will develop distribution and education stategies of this initiative, particularly in supporting the Chronic Care Program, self-management and rehabilitation services.
A protocol for distribution and education kit of My Health Record will also soon be developed. The tools will include an education program and training video to demonstrate successful use of this red book.