301 Forbes St
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Phone: 9382 8600
Fax: 9382 8611

Office hours

8.30am - 4.30pm

Monday - Friday

Making a compliment or a complaint

Rights and Responsibilities

If you have a concern, complaint or compliment relating to Adahps you can talk to our staff about the issue. Alternatively, you can put it in writing and send it to the program manager. 


NSW Health privacy information - Note: Adahps manages all enquiries about client health records and privacy.

Managing HIV information

There’s been a change to how we manage your HIV information

An amendment to the Public Health Act 2010 in September 2017 means that, consistent with the rest of your health information, HIV information is now available to health care workers involved in providing care, treatment or counselling to you, even if the care, treatment or counselling does not relate directly to your HIV.

This means

If you attend a NSW public health service for an HIV test or for HIV-related treatment your test result and other HIV information will be available to clinicians, nurses and other NSW Health staff involved in providing care to you for any condition.

What happened in the past?

If you accessed NSW Health services prior to the recent changes, you may have been told that your HIV information would be treated differently from other health information and would be kept separate from your general medical record.

Why has this changed?

This change has been made to better manage the care of people living with HIV. HIV is now managed as a chronic condition and there is often a genuine clinical need for care providers to be aware of your HIV status when managing conditions that may not appear to be directly related to HIV infection.

Your privacy and confidentiality is still protected

The confidentiality of HIV information remains protected by the Public Health Act and the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 which sets limits on how your health information, including HIV information, can be used and disclosed.
Under these laws, your HIV status may be disclosed to a person involved in your care. This may include staff at any NSW public hospital or health facility, your GP, and private health services.

Serious penalties apply to staff who inappropriately access your information, including disciplinary action and potential criminal charges.

Accessing your health information

Our clients can access their health records under the GIPA Act, but they are generally accessed under the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIPA).  An application fee of $30 is required and there may be processing fees. To arrange access or to obtain a list of fees phone us on 9382 8600.

People who prefer a language other than English can contact the HCCC through the Telephone Interpreter Service on 131 450.​​​​​​​
Page Updated: Monday 18 February 2019
Contact page owner: Centre for Population Health