In recent weeks NSW Health has reported on:
- the ongoing measles outbreak
- an ongoing outbreak of antibiotic resistance shigella infections
- the risk of increased arbovirus activity over Easter
- several cases of ciguatera seafood poisoning linked to locally-caught fish
- multiple cases of dengue fever were reported linked to an outbreak in Fiji
- cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome continue to be reported from the Middle East.
See the NSW Health Infectious Diseases page for further information, including:
- a summary of notifiable conditions activity in NSW
- further information on infectious diseases and alerts
- links to other surveillance reports, including influenza reports.
The Australian Drinking Water Guidelines 2011 were updated in December 2013. The main changes include:
- new Information Sheets for Water Treatment Operators, which replaces Information Sheets on Disinfection
- an update of the 1996 Chemical Fact Sheets on benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes
- a new resource – Guidance for issuing and lifting boil water advisories (pages 243-254).
The NHMRC is currently seeking feedback on a draft Information Paper: Evidence on Wind Farms and Human Health, which provides the Australian community with a summary of the evidence on whether wind farms cause adverse health effects in humans.