Applications for the 2020 NSW Health Aboriginal Nursing and Midwifery Cadetship Program recruitment closed on the 2nd of February 2020.
UPDATE: Eligible applicants will be invited for an interview by NSW Health. All applicants will receive notification of their application outcome by close of business the 20th March 2020. Please check both your personal email, and NSW Health email if you are a current employee, for this notification.
The NSW Aboriginal Nursing and Midwifery Cadetship program provides support and assistance to Aboriginal people studying an undergraduate nursing or midwifery degree at University.
- study allowance of $600 per fortnight whilst undertaking study for 40 weeks
- $500 per semester support allowance
- 12 weeks paid employment in a local public hospital or Justice Health facility
- support from an Aboriginal mentor, cadet coordinator and additional clinical support.
- the potential for ongoing employment upon successful completion of your studies and the program
Applicants must be:
- an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- currently studying or about to study an undergraduate nursing or midwifery degree at university
- a resident of NSW (or within 5km of the NSW border).
Preparing your application
As part of the application, applicants must complete an online application and provide:
- a cover letter describing:
- why you want to pursue a career in nursing or midwifery
- why it is important to have Aboriginal people working as nurses and midwives within the NSW public health system
- a statement of your Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage
- confirmation of Aboriginality stating that you:
- are of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander decent
- identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and
- are accepted as such in the community where you live
- evidence of full-time enrolment in a Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor of Midwifery course
- a copy of results (if applicable).
If you would like further information please contact the Aboriginal Nursing and Midwifery:
Phone: 1800 155 325