The requirements for registered and enrolled nurses to re-enter practice are determined by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) and require the completion of one of the following NMBA approved re-entry to practice pathways:
Pathway 1: A period of supervised practice
Pathway 2: Completion of a NMBA approved re-entry to nursing program
For further information on re-registration, see the NMBA Re-entry to Practice Policyand the Framework for the assessment of nursing and midwifery applicants for re-entry to practice
NSW Health scholarships to support re-entry to practice are linked to subsequent employment. Applicants must commit to accepting an offer of permanent full or part time employment (minimum 16 hours per week) within the NSW public health system for two years upon successful completion of an NMBA approved re-entry to practice pathway and regaining full registration.
Where Pathway 1 is undertaken, scholarships are available to local health districts/specialty networks (LHD/SN) to support individuals to undertake a period of supervised practice. If provisional registration (with conditions) has been awarded by the NMBA, the applicant may be employed during this period.
In Pathway 2, up to $10,000 may be awarded to individuals to complete an NMBA approved re-entry to nursing program.
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- You must be in receipt of a letter from the NMBA advising the requirement to undertake an NMBA approved re-entry to practice pathway
- You must have previous relevant clinical nursing experience
- A suitable position must be identified and available in the LHD/SN
- You must agree to employment in a permanent full or part time position in the NSW public health system for a period of two years (minimum 16 hours per week)
- Ability to meet NSW Health pre-employment screening checks
How to apply
- Once you have received a formal letter of advice from the NMBA regarding re-entry requirements, contact the nursing
and midwifery workforce manager in the LHD/SN where you would like to be employed to discuss employment opportunities.
- If a suitable employment opportunity exists, and you agree to accept an offer of employment as per conditions above, the LHD/SN will contact the Nursing and Midwifery Office to progress your application.
For further information contact the Nursing and Midwifery Office, NSW Ministry of Health on (02) 9391 9528.