Training program

Is this Traineeship only available to Aboriginal people?

Only people who identify as Aboriginal Australians are eligible for the traineeship. In the application process, applicants may be invited to demonstrate their connection to their Aboriginal community and their vocational commitment to Aboriginal population health.

What are the entry requirements?

The entry level requirements are the completion of a Bachelor degree in health or a related field that is acceptable for enrolment in a Master of Public Health (MPH) at the university of choice.

How long does it take to complete the traineeship?

It takes three years of full-time employment to complete the workplace-based traineeship competencies and the part-time MPH degree. One day of study leave per week is provided within the employment to complete the MPH. However, the contact hours will vary depending on the mode of delivery for different subjects (online, face-to-face, or block study).

Can I do the traineeship on a part-time basis?

No, the traineeship is only available on a full-time basis.

How do I apply to join the traineeship?

Positions are advertised by NSW health services, through the mainstream and local media. Advertised employment positions will be maintained on this website.
Once positions are advertised, in order to apply you need to obtain an information kit.

When preparing your application, you need to provide:

  • your curriculum vitae
  • your statement of academic results
  • a document in which you address each of the key selection criteria.
The NSW Health Stepping Up website provides valuable information to help you prepare your application.
The Panel reviewing applications will conduct interviews for the advertised position(s).

Is there an entry test?

There is no entry test; however, you will be required to provide a statement of your academic results and demonstrate your skills and knowledge relevant to the advertised position when you write your job application addressing each of the key selection criteria. The interview is also a chance to talk about your skills and knowledge and vocational commitment to Aboriginal population health.

Is there financial assistance available for travel and study?

The NSW Ministry of Health will provide financial assistance for both travel and study for your MPH. This assistance is outlined in the orientation program for trainees on successful entry to the Aboriginal Population Health Training Initiative.


How many traineeships are available?

Up to four traineeships will be offered each year through NSW health services, depending on available funding.

When does recruitment take place?

Recruitment occurs at different times in the year, depending on the NSW health services offering the positions, but usually in time to allow enrolment in an MPH at your preferred NSW university.

Where are the traineeships located?

The traineeships are available in a selected number of NSW health services at different times, requiring that the trainee is located in these areas of NSW. Trainees may have the capacity to rotate through various locations within any one NSW health service to gain experience in different workplace settings and develop professional networks.

Would I get study leave?

You will be eligible for up to one day of study leave per week during the university semester.

What are the chances that I will get a job at the end of the Initiative?

Traineeships offer temporary employment for three years; however, the Aboriginal Population Health Training Initiative is intended to provide an avenue for Aboriginal people to specialise in population health and gain employment as a population health professional in the health system. Employment depends on a range of factors such as funding and availability of positions, their suitability and a graduate's demonstrated ability during the Initiative, and interest in the positions.

Master of Public Health

Do I need to pay for my MPH?

The MPH is paid for by the NSW Ministry of Health. This includes all coursework fees, resources to support studying, and travel/technology to aid access to the course material.

Can I study my MPH at any university in NSW?

You are able to study your MPH at many universities in NSW. It is important that you choose a Master’s degree which suits your needs and your style of learning. You make this decision, with the support from your family, community, workplace supervisor and the APHTI Program Coordinator at the NSW Ministry of Health.

What if I am not close to the university where I want to do the MPH?

Many Master of Public Health degrees allow you to study by completing subjects in block units (week-long intensive sessions) and also by correspondence.

What happens if I am unsuccessful at the MPH?

It is a requirement of being a trainee that you maintain an academic enrolment in your Master’s degree. If you do not meet required standards to pass subjects in the degree, it is likely you will have to re-study these subjects. In this case, the academic program coordinators at the university, along with your workplace supervisors and the APHTI Program Coordinator at the NSW Ministry of Health, would meet with you to consider the things that are preventing your progress and ways these problems can be addressed, for example, by providing more learning support, rearranging the academic timetable or changing universities.
These situations will be managed on a case-by-case basis with support and collaboration from the partners involved in your training.
Page Updated: Thursday 27 July 2017